A Brief History of Llandudno

Llandudno is an elegant resort, it's stylish architecture and traditional seaside entertainment era a legacy of the Victorian era, during which time the town was carefully planned and laid out. The first dwellers lived here as early as the Stone Age, and the Great Orme mines date from the Bronze Age. Until the 1840's the area's fortunes rested on agriculture and copper mining, but this changed as a result of a vision to transform the village into a grand seaside resort.

The Great Ormes Head

Llandudno is dominated by the 679 foot high Great Ormes Head, a huge carboniferous limestone hillside at the end of the peninsula, from where much of Llandudno's ancient history stems.

Copper mines

Relics have been found on the site from the Beaker People, and Copper was being mined from the Great Orme 4,000 years ago in the Bronze Age. There is evidence that during the Roman occupation, copper was mined from the Great Orme. Indeed mining continued during the Industrial Revolution, due to the great demand for raw materials, until the 1850's when the accessible ore was exhausted.

Today you can visit the Great Orme Copper Mines, take a guided tour (hard hats and miners lamps are provided) and learn about the mines, while experiencing the working conditions of the miners.

A Victorian Resort

During the Victorian era visits to the seaside became the fashion. Llandudno, with its beautiful bay was the destination popular with visitors from the North West of England, seeking the fresh sea air on the coast.

Lord Mostyn - The founder of Llandudno

The entrepreneurial landowner Lord Edward Mostyn, together with local businessmen began to develop Llandudno into a seaside resort. The majority of the town as we know it today was laid out in 1849 by the Mostyn family, who leased most of the plots for development and influenced the building design and uses of land.

Engineering and Architecture

The coming of the railway in 1858 brought increased numbers of visitors, and the money which they spent helped further development of the town. The original pier completed in 1858, suffered storm damage and was replaced in 1875 by the 2,300 foot long pier you can stroll along today. Improvements continued with the development of Marine Drive, running around the base of Great Orme and the delightful gardens in Happy Valley Park. The Great Orme Tramway was completed in 1902, it is still in operation, taking passengers to the summit to enjoy the views over the Conwy Estuary.

A Seaside Town for the 21st Century

Today's Llandudno offers its visitors good shopping, with a modern shopping arcade discreetly designed to blend with the traditional surroundings. The town centre boasts an impressive selection of shops, from small boutiques to national retailers.

Venue Cymru on the promenade is a 1500 seat theatre and conference centre, where West End shows and the Welsh National Opera perform.

Llandudno uniquely combines the Victorian splendour of a coastal resort with the modern attractions and amenities of a bustling town. It is a popular tourist destination for visitors of all ages, offering something of interest to everyone.

The Ambassador Hotel

The Grand Promenade,
Llandudno,
North Wales,
LL30 2NR.
Email us
Tel: 01492 876 886
Fax: 01492 876347